Working with an architect: human drama

Dan Maginn, an architect in Kansas City writes:
Now that I have been practicing architecture for nearly 20 years, I find myself increasingly drawn to the human drama that accompanies an architectural commission. I have come to realize that, for me, the real varsity-level action--especially in residential architecture--resides not in the bricks and mortar, but in the metaphoric sweat lodge of the architect-client relationship. Although each project is different, I have begun to recognize the same universal themes over and over again: Exhilaration. Fear. Envy. Empathy. Betrayal.
Maginn's first-person narrative of a typical architectural project--as seen through an architect's eyes--is riveting and wonderfully truthful, and feels familiar to this Santa Monica architect. It was published last year in Dwell magazine, and can be read [here].